On 8th June, 2017 IVO President Grigorij Mesežnikov attended the 23rd International Golden Beggar Festival, held in Košice (7th – 10th June 2017). The event was organized by the City TV Foundation with the support of the Košice Self-Governing Region in partnership with other organizations (see more about the festival in: www.festival.sk).
IVO president took part in the panel Terrorism, War and Other Conflicts and Critical Situations – the Existential Threat for Journalism.
From the catalog of the festival:
Panel Discussion 1: Terrorism, War And Other Conflicts and Critical Situations – the Existential Threats For Journalism
Growth of terrorism, emerging wars and other conflicts, as well as the resurfacing of extremist forces raise the questions of the role and position of media and journalists which, embodying freedom of speech and other fundamental freedoms and rights principles and being the bearers of democratic values, often become the targets of attacks themselves.
At the 2017 International Festival of Local Televisions, the role of journalism in this new situation will be analyzed and discussed, with the aim of finding some conclusions and providing some guidance for journalists working in these difficult times.
- Grigorij Mesežnikov - president of IVO, Slovakia
- Jozef Klavec - political scientist, Faculty of Social Sciences, Trnava, Slovakia
- Vladimír Barovič - associate professor, University of Novi Sad, Serbia
- Eduard Chmelár - political scientist, Slovakia
- Vladimír Malíček - political scientist, Department of Social Sciences Academy of the Police Force in Bratislava, Slovakia
- Jűrgen Linke - journalist, Open Channels for Europe!, Germany
Moderator: Samo Kolár, independent journalist, Slovakia
Download: Catalog of the Golden Beggar Festival