Supported by: ESET Foundation
Project span: July – November 2016
Project manager: Marián Velšic (IVO)
Co-operating institutions: FOCUS Research Agency
Objective: The aim of the project is to identify opportunities and threads for the processes of democracy, that emerge from usage of information and comunication technologies. The aim is realized through the analysis of attitutes of young generation in cyberspace.
An outcome of the project is a research study based on a nationwide representative research carried out in September 2016 on a sample of 1083 Slovaks aged 18 to 39 years.
Results of the study have an ambition to show a level of practical use of modern (electronic) tools in processes of democracy. Their aim is also to show current negative trends such as the spread of conspiracy theories, hate speech, trolling or an inclination towards political extremism. The study focuses on several basic themes:
- Internet as a place of young people’s interest in socio-political problems
- Political affiliation of a young generation
- Practical use of e-democracy tools such as social networks, watch-dog portals, blogs, newsgroups, e-petitions, online campaigns,…
- Sympathies towards the extremist political party LSNS
- Attitudes towards electronic voting and its potential for increasing a voter turnout
Press Release [PDF, in Slovak]
Youth in Cyberspace [PDF, in Slovak]
Presentation [PDF, in Slovak]
Press conference [link]