ivo.sk
 
For more information about IVO's activities, please send us your e-mail adress
send
  search
Survey on Labor Migration in Slovakia

Institute for Public Affairs has been working on a project Economic aspects of migration and integration of third-country nationals in Slovakia. It was supported by the European Commission from the sources of European Fund for the Integration of Third Countries National. Main methodological tool was quantitative research focused on third-country national migrants (around 350 respondents). In addition to the survey results, some qualitative interviews and secondary analysis of existing qualitative and statistical data has been done in order to have deeper insight into economic participation and economic conditions of migrants in Slovakia.

The data from the research were presented and interpreted by the IVO analysts Oľga Gyárfášová, Martina Sekulová and Jarmila Filadelfiová at the press conference on April 29th.



Full press release and presentation containing charts and comments is available on Slovak IVO webpage.

----

News agency SITA released a report from the press conference:

Mainly Male Labor Immigrants are Coming to Slovakia, shows Research

Immigrant numbers are not high in Slovakia compared with other EU countries. Though they are continually growing, the share of immigrants on Slovakia’s population amounts to approximately one percent. According to the latest figures, the number of legal labor immigrants reached 19,205. Mainly males are coming to Slovakia to work here (80 percent) and females make up the remaining 20 percent. As many as 134 countries worldwide had at least one citizen on the Slovak labor market.

Slovakia is most popular for Czechs and Romanians. Mainly Ukrainians, Serbs, Vietnamese, Chinese and Russians are coming here from the countries that are not EU members, show results of a research project “Economic Aspects of Migration and Integration of Third Country Immigrants in the Environment of Slovakia" conducted by the think-tank IVO on a sample of 350 respondents in 2010-2011. The aim of the project funded from the European Fund for the Integration of Third Country Nationals (EIF) was to collect and analyze data on economic participation in integration of immigrants with focus on third country citizens.

Regarding the education level, the most numerous group were university graduates (47 percent) followed by people with upper secondary education (37 percent), apprenticeship education (11 percent) and elementary education (5 percent).

IVO asked the respondents also about barriers they encounter on the Slovak labor market. One third of them stated red tape as the most serious obstacle and one third compained about uncertainty related to granting the residence permit. About 28 percent view as a serious obstacle their unfamiliarity with the Slovak legislation, the Slovak tax system etc. Twenty-seven percent says that insufficient knowledge of Slovak language is a serious obstacle for them.

BRATISLAVA, April 30, (SITA)



>> Back to News

What do the citizens of particular countries think about V4? How do they perceive each other? To what extent they trust each other? 

The Visegrad States’ Reactions to the Russia-Ukraine Conflict. Publication of four European think tanks and Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung.

25 Years of the V4 as Seen by the Public
Diverging Voices, Converging Policies

Historical, political and ideological aspects of the right-wing extremism in central Europe.

Book on new political parties in Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland.

Extremism vs. Democracy in Central Europe: Issues, Experiences, Challenges
Alternative Politics? The Rise of New Political Parties in Central Europe

Collection of analytical studies from experts from Great Britain, France, Norway, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia.

A Situational Analysis of Selected Aspects of the Living Standard of Households in Marginalized Roma Settlements.

Conspiracy Theories in Europe: A Compilation
Data collection and monitoring of social and economic threats

Source of information for media, media associations, as well as legislators and the executive.

The study maps the key milestones, successes and dilemmas of the third sector.

Freedom of Media 25 Years After
Active Citizenship and the Nongovernmental Sector
Content © 2006 Inštitút pre verejné otázky.
Design © 2006 Komplot
Generated by Buxus content management system from ui42.


tlačiťposlaťhore